A Note About COVID-19
Given the current situation in regard to COVID-19, following the guidance of the CDC, and in partnership with Skidmore College and the Saratoga Performing Arts Center, Saratoga Shakespeare Company has made the difficult decision to cancel our 2020 Professional Training Program.
We look forward to offering this program again in 2021, bringing to realization a summer that integrates classwork alongside hands-on experience. In the meantime, we’ll have more details about future offerings soon, so please continue to check our website and social media channels for updates.
WHY CHOOSE SSC?
- Theatre-making within a company invested in inventive and creative safe spaces, utilizing best practices, and welcoming to all
- Curated, specific summer-long curriculum, including teaching artist workshops from SSC company members
- Mentor/mentee relationship with a designated SSC professional theatre practitioner
- Course work in Theatre History and Dramaturgy, Acting, Voice and Diction, Improvisation, Viewpoints, Neutral and Larval Mask, Design and Build Projects, Shakespeare Text, Scene Work, Arts Management and Producing
- Understudy assignments for main stage productions
- Two separate performance projects designated solely for interns and open to a public audience
- Design assignments for the main stage and PTP performance projects
- A network of artists – students from other institutions, professional theatre makers
- The opportunity to build your professional theatre experience and resume while living in a gorgeous summer spot – Saratoga Springs, on the green and tree-covered campus of Skidmore College
A TYPICAL DAY
- Intensive movement and voice practice
- Classwork in your focused area
- Mainstage rehearsal
- PTP performance project rehearsal
- Hands-on work experience with your mentor
DESIGNATED AREAS OF FOCUS
Work as an Assistant Director on one of the mainstage productions with an opportunity to Direct a performance project.
Design and Tech
Work alongside a company designer or tech director on mainstage productions, as well as the PTP Midsummer Project.
Work with an AEA Stage Manager on a mainstage production and PTP projects.
Work alongside Emma Halpern, SSC Managing Director, on overall company needs and PTP projects
Train daily in voice, movement, and acting techniques. Understudy mainstage professional productions. Perform lead roles in the Midsummer Project—a fully-produced production dedicated to the PTP company.