Join us for the 20th Anniversary of Saratoga Shakespeare Company and build upon an established legacy.
Apprenticeships and internships have always been part of the time-honored tradition of theatrical training and are seen as necessary supplements to one’s academic theatre studies. Saratoga Shakespeare Company offers professional training in every aspect of the theatre, from acting, directing and stage management to arts administration and theatrical design within the context of an acclaimed regional theatre.
A Note about COVID-19 and the Professional Training Program:
We are optimistic that the Professional Training Program will be able to run as planned this summer. We are monitoring the current health crisis and will adhere to CDC guidelines, but for now, we are excited to continue offering this opportunity.
In order to accommodate the disruptions that many people are experiencing in their daily lives, we are accepting applications on a rolling basis. Applicants will be contacted by a SSC staff member within 10 days of submitting their initial application, at which point they may be asked to submit a video audition or to schedule a phone/video interview.
We anticipate that once this crisis is over, people will be hungry for community and for live arts experiences. We look forward to offering both to you, to emerging artists, and to the Capital Region.
June 25 – August 5, 2020
In residence at:
Saratoga Performing Arts Center
COSTS AND FEES
(transferrable to your institution)
Skidmore Housing (optional)
(Single dorm rooms with shared bathrooms and minimalist kitchen )
Skidmore Meal Plans (optional but recommended)
Weekly 10-meal plan $107/week
Weekly 14-meal plan $149/week
Weekly 21-meal plan $224/week
WHY CHOOSE SSC?
- Theatre-making within a company invested in inventive and creative safe spaces, utilizing best practices, and welcoming to all
- Curated, specific summer-long curriculum, including teaching artist workshops from SSC company members
- Mentor/mentee relationship with a designated SSC professional theatre practitioner
- Course work in Theatre History and Dramaturgy, Acting, Voice and Diction, Improvisation, Viewpoints, Neutral and Larval Mask, Design and Build Projects, Shakespeare Text, Scene Work, Arts Management and Producing
- Understudy assignments for main stage productions
- Two separate performance projects designated solely for interns and open to a public audience
- Design assignments for the main stage and PTP performance projects
- A network of artists – students from other institutions, professional theatre makers
- The opportunity to build your professional theatre experience and resume while living in a gorgeous summer spot – Saratoga Springs, on the green and tree-covered campus of Skidmore College
A TYPICAL DAY
- Intensive movement and voice practice
- Classwork in your focused area
- Mainstage rehearsal
- PTP performance project rehearsal
- Hands-on work experience with your mentor
DESIGNATED AREAS OF FOCUS
Work as an Assistant Director on one of the mainstage productions with an opportunity to Direct a performance project.
Design and Tech
Work alongside a company designer or tech director on mainstage productions, as well as the PTP Midsummer Project.
Work with an AEA Stage Manager on a mainstage production and PTP projects.
Work alongside Emma Halpern, SSC Managing Director, on overall company needs and PTP projects
Train daily in voice, movement, and acting techniques. Understudy mainstage professional productions. Perform lead roles in the Midsummer Project—a fully-produced production dedicated to the PTP company.